Why signs work
Signs play a big role in our everyday lives, whether we are aware or not, signs actually play a significant role in many ways. They direct us, give us reminders, and even prompt us to make decisions. Signs are so ubiquitous that we can sometimes forget that they’re even there.
FedEx Office commissioned a study conducted by Ketchum Global Research & Analytics to measure just how big of an impact outdoor signage has on businesses and consumers. A second study conducted by the Economic Center of University of Cincinnati conducted a study that measured the impact of business owners in various industries. Check out some of the findings from those surveys that will make you a believer in the power of signage.
- According to FedEx, 76% of customers surveyed said that they entered a business they never visited previously based solely on the business’ signage. Even in the internet age, there’s no denying the impact of signage for getting customers through the door.
- The FedEx study also found that almost 75% of surveyed customers said that they mentioned a business to someone because of their signage.
- The University of Cincinnati study found that about 60% of surveyed businesses said that changing or improving on their signage visibility had a positive effect on their sales. They experienced average increased of around 10%. This proves that visibility is a key factor in successful outdoor sign advertising.
- Just in case you were wondering, the FedEx survey found that around 68% of consumers would say the signage of a business directly mirrors the quality of their products and services.
- Absence of quality signage can have an impact on consumer behavior as well. Almost 60% of people surveyed for the FedEx study said they were deterred from entering a business because they didn’t have signage. More than 50% of respondents said that bad signs (misspellings, low printing quality, etc.) have kept them from patronizing a business.
- Here’s one thing business owners and customers seem to agree on: both groups say that legibility is the most essential aspect in creating signage.